Friday, September 3, 2010

Blag 3


The Distinction between Art and Craft
Sally J. Markowitz

In her article Markowitz attempts to make a explain the “why” between what we call “art” and what we call “craft.” Throughout the article she explores different points of views relating to the distinction. One I liked but didn’t nessisarily agree with is a quote by Arthur Danto. Danto said art theory “detaches objects from the real world and makes them part of a different world, and art world, a world of interpreted things” (60). I believe most craft is art, but not all art is craft. Too me even the white board in the front of class could be considered art, it was designed by someone in a certain place and time. We do not see it as art, just as the cave paintings weren’t considered art 30,000 years ago. I think we can be blinded by the functionality of an art object and dismiss it as a mere craft as well. If a potter makes a thought provoking sculpture that happens to also be a vase for flowers how can that be considered less “art” than a painting made for class. The author goes on to say “perhaps the simplest interpretation of the charge of elitism rests on the claim that there is no real difference between art and craft objects, but only a difference in social status between artist and craftspeople” (66). I completely agree with that and am interested to know what y’all think.

5 comments:

  1. this article was interesting. I don't necessarily agree with it all. I think that craft is more like the skill creating the art. Art is the result of what you created. having good craft produces good art. Which poor craft the result with the art is poor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think thats true too, but what about something that is considered just a craft like basketweaving, no matter how good you are is it still just a craft?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The article was okay. I do not agree with part of the article. it seems like craft is an art technique. art is originality, and also what one makes good or bad depends on others perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I agree with both Taylor and Monica. Crafts can be more focused on skill because they are creating something of use, but I don't think we shouldn't include it as art. I believe that anything that is designed and created can be considered art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a really compelling article. I think there always is that conflict of what is craft and what is art. I really like seeing the views of the people. I agree with yall about crafts being more of a skill but I think to that a craft doesn't really go in depth about what the work is. Like Crafts for halloween they are there for one purpose only. While Art is more meaningful, and has a reason behind every inch of the work.

    ReplyDelete