Friday, September 17, 2010

past and recent past.




When we were in class Friday I saw the picture of the sphinx on the board and was instantly reminded of a sculpture I have seen at Cheekwood. The statue at Cheekwood stuck out to me while I was there just because of how bizarre I thought it was. I wondered why something so creepy looking would be in such an otherwise serene garden.



Our book says the Sphinx was made to show the intellect of man saddled with the strength of an animal. I think the book tends to exaggerate the meanings of pieces (like when it talked about the male and female earlier in the semester). As prof. Walden said, the Egyptians commonly used a combination of animal and human. Cheekwood was built at about the same time of the discovery of Egyptian tombs. I don’t know the history of the sculpture at Cheekwood, but using context clues I would assume it is a result of the Egyption craze that swept the world. Do any of y’all know any more information about it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment